Wausau, Wisconsin is a mid-sized city located at the crossroads of commerce in Central Wisconsin. It is the county seat and the regional economic, education, health care, arts and culture, and entertainment center.
The community's heartbeat is the Downtown River District, a thriving commercial and social center. The River District boasts more than 250 businesses and presents opportunities for developers and entrepreneurs.
River District Market Profile
Download the River District Market Profile for detailed facts, statistics and insights on the following:
- River District Populations and Traffic Patterns
- Trade Area Demographics
- City of Wausau Demographics
- Local Employment Statistics
- Trade Area Spending Patterns
- Marketplace Leakage Statistics
- Primary River District Destinations and Events
Contact us to request one or more copies of this profile.
River District Market Snapshot
The Market Snapshot is an abbreviated version of the market profile. It provides the basic facts and statistics on the City of Wausau and the River District.
Contact us to request one or more copies of this snapshot.
River District Facts & Stats
- Downtown Employees: 5,876
- Downtown Residential Population: 8,342
- Daytime Population: 29,000
- District Parking: 3,697 total parking spaces
- Traffic Counts on Primary Streets Serving the District:
- Eastbound Stewart Ave. into the District: 21,900 vehicles per day (vpd)
- North on 6th St.: 16,800 vpd
- West on Scott St. through the District: 7,400 vpd
- 1st Ave. and 3rd Ave.: 7,500 - 8,500 vpd
River District Trade Area Map
The District's primary trade area covers Marathon County and extends into Lincoln County to the north. The secondary trade area expands into Wood and Oneida counties to the southwest and north respectively.
The basis for Wausau's two trade areas includes:
- The location relative to competing trade centers
- Highway networks and drive times to Wausau
- Quantitative market research performed by CBL & Associates Properties, Inc.
- Quantitative market research performed by Main Street Wausau, Inc.
Trade Area Demographics
Average Household Income$55,613$50,411
Associates Degree or Higher33.2%30.7%
% Population Ages 25-6445.5%44.5%